Milam County Historical Museum
Thurs -Fri 10am to 4 pm
Sat 10 am-2pm
Milam County Historical Museum consists of three separate locations in downtown Cameron on the square. The main Museum is 112 W 1st; Old Jail Museum is 201 E Main and the Old Town Cameron and Railroad Museum is 110 W 1st, right next to the main museum and currently under renovation.
Come spend the day and visit all three!
Milam County Historical Jail built in 1895!
When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded
in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger
facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County
Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail
Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis,
Missouri, for the construction of a larger prison. The
company furnished all supplies, including St. Louis
pressed bricks. County Judge Sam Streetman, who later
served on the Texas Supreme Court, approved the
contract, although he had preferred the use of local
building materials. This structure, designed with
Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above
the windows, had three main floors and a ''hanging
tower'' equipped with a trap door. The tower was never
used for executions because most hangings took place
outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for
storage and the remainder serving as a residence for
the sheriff and his family. The second and third
stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners. In
1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the
Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the
Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation,
it was opened as a museum in 1978.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978